If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Camcorders are the best option to go with for people who are on a low budget and want to explore the magic of film making. There is no doubt that the DSLR cameras offer one of the best choices for making movies. But unfortunately, not everyone can afford this because the cheapest DSLR camera will cost nothing less than $400.
Also, they may not give you sufficient options to employ your videography skills by reason of their structure and design.
The best available options for filmmakers are to use a camcorder because they are affordable. You shouldn’t just grab any camcorder you see on the market otherwise you will be disappointed.
We have reviewed the best camcorders for filmmaking so you can pick one that best suits your need and start producing those amazing movies that can compete with others made from top-notch video cameras.
- Are Camcorders Still Worth Buying?
- Reviews of the Best Camcorders for Filmmaking
- What to Look Out for When Buying a Camcorder for Filmmaking
Are Camcorders Still Worth Buying?
So we went to Amazon and other big online shopping sites and researched if people are still buying camcorders today. Surprisingly, yes people still do shop for camcorders. Apart from the fact that they are affordable, they offer some features that normal DSLR cameras and action cameras cannot provide.
Consequently, if you have got a specific need that only a camcorder can meet, then you should opt for one.
Camcorders have improved over the years and now offer great features. One of the features you will find in modern camcorders is the 4k video feature which is great for filmmaking as it gives you video in UHD.
Reviews of the Best Camcorders for Filmmaking
1. SAULEOO Video Camera Camcorder
The SAULEOO Video Camera Camcorder is also among the best camcorders for filmmaking. The 16x digital zoom feature allows you to capture images and shoot videos from a very far distance. Also, when using the digital zoom, you do not need to worry about your camera shaking because the camcorder has anti-shake function.
In addition, it also has an external microphone that allows communication between sound and the camera. The extended battery life means that you can use this camera for a long time on a full charge. While charging is ongoing, you can use this device.
There is also a remote control to access and control the camcorder. What’s more? This camera records video with ultra HD 2.7K/20FPS video resolution and also captures photos at 30.0 Megapixel.
If you are looking to explore the world of webcam, this camera is the ideal choice for you. The webcam function means that you can use it to video call your loved ones and your friends. This makes it versatile
- It has a webcam function
- It has an anti-shake function
- You can record videos while charging
- It records in 4K
- It is a 30 Megapixel camcorder
- It has a playback mode
- You cannot zoom in and out in webcam mode
2. Sony FDRAX53/B 4K HD Video Recording Camcorder
Combining ultra-high 4K video quality plus great image stabilization, your videos will be amazing and you will be proud of your project. The Sony FDRAX53/B 4K HD Video Recording Camcorder is one of the best camcorders for the job, but it is highly-priced.
Another feature of this camera that is worth mentioning is the night vision feature. If you will shoot night scenes, you need a camera with such a feature otherwise, you are going to have a low quality video with grains.
With up to 20 X zoom power, you can shoot videos with a wide and narrow-angle. The zoom is smooth, thus making your videos professional.
It has a built-in microphone that can zoom in and increase its sensing power with distance. However, you have the option to use a compactable external microphone when necessary. There is also a wireless Bluetooth microphone that is compactable with this camcorder.
If you want a professional camcorder for filmmaking or all kind, then this is highly recommended. For a camera from one of the best brands, you can never go wrong.
- Great and smooth zoom
- Built-in microphone and port for external connection
- Image stabilization
- Awesome battery life
- It is highly priced
- 4K XAVC-S recording with 16.6MP, Exmor R sensor, B.O.SS stabilization
- ZEISS lens(26.8mm) 20x optical zoom in 4K, 30x Clear Image Zoom in 4K
- 3.0" LCD (Touch panel), EVF, Wi-Fi/NFC, manual ring, night shot, 4K Time-lapse capture.Diopter...
3. Camcorder 4K 48 Megapixel Wi-Fi Control Digital Camera
The Camcorder 4k Digital Camera from Seree features a 48 Megapixel that is capable of delivering precise and clear pictures. This camcorder includes the features of motion detection and auto-smile.
Also, this camcorder features a 16x digital zoom that can zoom in and zoom out from a far distance and still maintain a very clear image. The Wi-Fi function allows you to share with compatible devices.
With its advanced technologies, you can use the night vision feature. The night vision is great when you want to shoot night scenes when making films. So you will not have low quality output at low light. There is a pause function that allows you to pause or restart a recording process.
The 48 MP is very special to camera lovers because high-quality images can be captured.
- It has a 48MP camera feature
- It has 16x digital zoom function
- It has an amazing night vision
- The video quality may not be up to the normal UHD standard
- 【4K HD & 48MP & 30FPS Camcorder】➽ This video camcorder with 4K HD video resolution, 48MP...
- 【Camcorder with IR Night Vision】➽ This video camera is equipped with IR LED light for night...
- 【Video Camera with 360° Wireless Remote Control】➽ The video camera has a an upgraded version...
4. 4K Camcorder Video Camera
The 4K Camcorder Video Camera from KOT is among the best camcorders for filmmaking. It allows you to install the wide-angle lens in order to shoot a wider part of an event and it provides for a clear and precise image.
Also, the camcorder has an X-Y stereo microphone that allows you to capture stable and clear sound image localization. It does not end there with the sound. There is also a built-in cut filter switch that is effective in the reduction of noise. However, it is important to note that the external microphone only works on KOT 4K camcorder.
On purchase of the camcorder, you will be given 2 batteries which you can charge and use at the same time. The feature of IR night vision allows you to shoot normal videos and capture videos as you would do when the surrounding is dark. Meanwhile, do not spend too much time using this function because it consumes battery a lot.
While using the 4K video resolution, this camcorder is capable of shooting breathtaking, precise, and bright mages with the best quality and in high-contrast performance.
The 16x digital zoom function allows you to zoom in and out to alter the range of angles of objects or subjects. The 4K video resolution is meant for the digital zoom function and not optical zoom.
- It has an external microphone
- It has LED video light
- It has an amazing zoom feature
- It has a wide-angle lens
- The battery does not last for too long.
- 4K UHD HD Camcorder & 3.0 inch touch screen: The video camcorder has a 4K 2880x2160 (24FPS) video...
- Stereo Microphone & Wide Angle Lens: 4K camcorder comes with a professional 0.39X 2 in 1 HD...
- Wi-Fi & IR Night Vision: Wi-Fi cannot connect directly to the router. Download "NovaCam" APP at App...
5. 4K Video Camera Camcorder ORDRO HDR-AC5 Vlog Camera
The 4K Video Camera Camcorder ORDRO has a 4K resolution that can shoot clear images with high-quality color and high-contrast performance.
With the 12x optical zoom function, this video camera can zoom in and out of the scene especially the ones that you take from a far distance.
When sending the raw captured videos for editing, you can use the Wi-Fi function. You are expected to download the application known as “D video” on your smartphone, and then proceed to connect it to your Wi-Fi.
The time-lapse video function allows you to compress a long video onto a shot video. This will allow you to play the video in a shorter time than before. Just like other camcorders for filmmaking, this camcorder also allows you to use the camera while charging.
Us the external microphone to record sound and remove unnecessary noise especially when capturing a scene from a distance. Its wide-angle lens is capable of capturing photos or recording videos in a much larger view.
- Charging while recording is possible
- It has an external microphone
- It has a remote control
- It has a 12x optical zoom function
- It does not have a pause button
- The camcorder cannot be joined to an external drive
- It does not support manual focus
- 4k camcorder with 12X optical zoom: With 4K@24FPS UHD resolution and 12x optical zoom, the ORDRO AC5...
- 4k video camera with microphone: The ORDRO CM520 external microphone is perfect for ordro ac5...
- Wifi and remote control: Video and photo can be controlled and shared by downloading APP (D video)...
6. 4K Wi-Fi Full Spectrum Camcorder, Ultra HD
There are a whole lot of features to enjoy with the 4K Wi-Fi Full Spectrum Camcorder from ZOHULU. The first amazing feature is the night vision feature. You do not have to wait for the night to come before shooting night scenes when making films. This is activated by simply pressing the IR button.
It has an improved 30x digital zoom function that allows you to zoom in and out of a particular subject. With its double HD output which includes HDMI and USB 2.0, you can connect your camera to a computer system for a better view, editing, and transfer of files.
There is an anti-shake feature that lets your images sharp and very clear without any blur. In addition, it features a 24 Megapixel image resolution that records captured high resolution files.
Also, the remote control allows you to control your camera from an application on your smartphone. There is the inclusion of a built-in ultra-bright infrared light that is useful for shooting videos at night.
Use the 4K ultra high definition video quality to shoot superb images in the best color quality.
- It has a 4K Ultra HD video quality
- It has a built-in ultra-bright infrared light function for night vision
- It has a whooping 3ox digital zoom function
- It has an anti-shake feature
- Though it has a digital zoom function, it does not have an optical zoom function
- It does not have autofocus
- It does not have a motion detection feature
- Infrared flashlight, 32GB SD card, high definition wide angle lens, an extra super power battery(fhd...
- Upgraded IPS touchscreen! Sony COMS sensor 24 MP, dual-core smart chip, 4K Ultra HD 30x Digitally...
- Brand new camcorder system: Original from Ancter team tested more than 2000 hours before releasing -...
What to Look Out for When Buying a Camcorder for Filmmaking
Buying camcorders just for the purpose of making videos of any kind is different from buying one for filmmaking. So you have to consider some criteria and make sure you can see some of the best features in the product before settling for them. Consider the following criteria when buying one.
4k feature in a camera means that it will produce sharper videos. The previous standard for the HD version of camera was 1080p (1,920 by 1080). If you have ever watched an HD video, then think of what 4K video resolution will give you.
The standard resolution for 4k video is 4,096 by 2,160. It may be surprising to hear that some high-end professional cameras already shoot videos at a higher resolution than the 4K. So you do not want to go below the 4K (UHD) for a movie.
Making movies requires a good sound system on the camera to be able to get clear audio from the actors. If you have scenes where you will be capturing from a distance, you will need to connect an external microphone to extend and capture better sound quality at reduced noise.
When it comes to film making, less shaky videos or video that gives the best stability is the definition of professionalism. This is why image stabilization is an important feature to watch out for.
You may not need this feature if you are going to be using a gimbal or tripod stand. But for handheld shooting, it is a must feature you must look out for.
We understand that the reason why people are looking for the best camcorders for filmmaking is that camcorders are more affordable. But even if the new models also have great features, you cannot compare them to DSLR cameras.
Like we have stated before, camcorders are still in use, and hundreds of people buy them for one reason or the other. If you are on a low budget, then you can stick with camcorders. However, if you can spend a few hundred bucks, then you can go for DSLR cameras for under $400. We have got a review of the best and we believe you will have the best job from your production.